This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gluten Free Featured Product: Herdez Salsa Casera

GLUTEN FREE FEATURED PRODUCT
A regular postings of gluten-free products that I use myself and is available in my local grocery store.  You can check your local store for these items, order them online, or ask your store to stock them. I do not have any relationship with the companies in question, nor do I receive any form of compensation for these reviews.


Herdez Salsa Casera
I was first introduced to this when my parents lived in Mexico for a few years.  It was in cans there, but my local store (Publix) has it in bottles as well.  Look for it in the store's dedicated section for imported Hispanic/Latino foods, not the generic salsa/chips section.  It's a very fresh-tasting salsa, with minimal ingredients.  It's more watery than we're used to in the U.S., but it also isn't cooked into mush.  You can actually tell the tomato from the onion when you take a bite.  It runs mild, so if you generally like medium salsa, go for the hot.
The parent company is Hormel, who lists gluten-free product offerings from all their subsidiaries on their website.  Herdez salsa casera is near the bottom under "Miscellaneous Items."

No comments:

Post a Comment