This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Featured Gluten-Free Resource: Travel Info Cards

I have no relationship with the companies or organizations I review, nor do I receive any compensation for my reviews.

The Gluten-Free Travel Restaurant Cards

The cards can be found in 54 languages here:  http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/

Because gluten-free can be difficult enough to navigate in restaurants in my native language, I can't even imagine trying to explain it with a translation dictionary.  These free printable cards (although you are encouraged to donate to the website if you find them helpful) translates basic information about gluten sensitivity in 54 different languages.
Now because the cards can't possibly be an easy reference AND all-inclusive, they're more a solution for the mildly gluten-sensitive.  Having a protracted conversation about cross-contamination and safe food handling in another language seems awfully ambitious.  If you're so sensitive that even slight traces can make you sick, these cards won't be enough of a safeguard.  But they're a great way to start the conversation with your travel host, guide, or hotel wherever you're staying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment