1 1/2 lbs lean hamburger
1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 large can (min 20oz) lima or pinto beans
1 large can (min 20 oz) kidney beans
1 large can (min 20 oz) pork and beans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp salt
2 tsp wine vinegar
Note: This makes a sweet sauce. If you're looking to make it a little more savory, omit the white sugar and add 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, and 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce. Fry 2 minced cloves of garlic with the onion.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (if not using crock pot)
- Fry the hamburger and drain off the fat.
- Fry the bacon and drain off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat.
- fry onions in the 1 tablespoon bacon fat and fry until translucent.
- Drain all the canned beans well and add to drained meat.
- Combine sauce ingredients. Stir into meat and bean mixture.
- Bake at 350 F oven for 1 hour, or cook in crock pot for 2-3 hours.