This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Ranch Dressing and Dip (Gluten-Free)

I have yet to find a good gluten-free ranch dressing.  I don't know what it is about ranch, but while some (Kraft and Publix, for example) are gluten-free, I just don't like the taste.  And ranch veggie dip?  Forget it. 

This dressing keeps for a few days in the refrigerator, so it's best made up in small, frequent batches.  I adapted it from this recipe, adding and adjusting the herb ratio. 

Ingredients
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dried chives
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Optional: 1 tablespoon buttermilk powder

Double the ingredient amount if using fresh instead of dried.

Whisk everything together very well and let sit in fridge for at least 1/2 hour. I've found this to be good for at least 3 days, but the garlic eventually takes over the flavor, battling the other spices to the death and screaming, "there can be only one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment