This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Product Review: Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix

GLUTEN FREE FEATURED PRODUCT

A regular postings of gluten-free products that I use myself and are available in my local grocery store.  You can check your local store for these items, order them online, or ask your store to stock them. I do not have any relationship with the companies in question, nor do I receive any form of compensation for these reviews. Gluten-Free status is based on information from the manufacturer, the current Cecelia's Marketplace shopping guide and personal experience, and may change if the company changes formulation or manufacturing processes.




I've been eyeballing Pamela's bread mix in my local Publix for some time, but was turned off by the price.  Last week, I spotted it on the clearance rack near the registers for about $3.25, and decided that it was now or never!  I made it, and the next morning went back to buy up every bag left on that clearance rack.


This bread mix makes an amazing, moist, chewy, delicious loaf of bread, with that elusive wheaty flavor I've been missing.  I've tried several recipes and mixes, and so far this has them all beat hands-down.  Left out in a sealed plastic bag, it was just as tasty and moist the second day!  Between us we finished the loaf in two days. 


The downside hit me the next morning.  If you're one of those people who could eat xanthan gum straight with a spoon without ill effects, then you are very lucky and will love this bread with a passion.  For those who are a bit more sensitive to it, this delicious bread comes with a very uncomfortable cost.  Of course it's to be expected; you can't really make gluten-free bread that stays moist for days without a lot, and I mean a LOT of xanthan gum. 


I made up another loaf, hoping that moderation would mitigate the effects.  Only eating two slices still gave me a little digestive discomfort.  I am one of those people who could happily live on bread, cheese and herbs for most of my life though, so despite the amount of gum, this bread might still be worth it for an occasional treat.  I have the remainder of the second loaf sitting out to stale for bread pudding and sage dressing, and it is highlighting the second drawback.  Bread advertised to stay moist for days is hard to dry out when you want it to.  I might have to resort to oven-drying. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment