This part of my life began when my very sick partner was diagnosed with Celiac. Even the slightest exposure to gluten can make him very ill for several days, so I have pursued gluten-free options with thorough aggression. In the U.S. a recent surge of gluten awareness means we have more choices than ever, but it still means hunting and analyzing and tracking down parent companies. After several years now of doing so, I want to share my tricks and tips with others who are still struggling.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Product Review: Udi Gluten-Free Granola Bars

Featured Product Reviews

I receive no compensation from the companies reviewed, nor do I have any relationship with them.  Gluten-free status is based on information as of the time of writing from the Cecelia's Marketplace shopping guide, parent company websites, and personal experience.  Please verify gluten status of products regularly, as formulations change (the information source is listed in the review when possible.)

 UDI's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I should have known, based on previous experience.  But the pretty image on the box and the lure of convenience food for school suckered me in. 

Udi's once again brings all the quality you'd expect from gluten-free offerings circa 1995.  The flavor and consistency of lightly toasted recycled paper pulp, with a hint of delicately sweetened, semi-hardened library paste.  Exactly five chocolate-colored wax bits were strategically placed on top.  Three whole almonds, which, I am happy to report, were not quite rancid.

I'm not sure how they are still getting away with charging so much for sub-par gluten-free specialty foods when every month a new company starts offering tasty new GF options.  Maybe they're not.  At any rate, do yourself a favor and buy Kind bars instead; they're comparably priced and much more delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment